While a large, leading office supplies retailer had made significant headway on many sustainability initiatives, it lacked commitment from leadership and a cohesive sustainability strategy.
- Engaged the client’s senior leadership team in exploring what sustainability meant for them, their employees, and the organization as a whole to better understand cultural readiness for sustainability leadership.
- Led significant internal and external research and analysis to establish a current reality and context for the client’s sustainability performance today and implications for the future.
- Developed a comprehensive list of sustainability trends driving the need for change, reviewed and analyzed current business and sustainability efforts, and benchmarked 19 other companies on sustainability practices.
- Supported the initial implementation planning efforts and fully managed four primary workstreams focused on product, packaging, metrics, and associate engagement.
- Educated and trained the buyer community on key sustainability information and a rollout of the strategy to key vendor partners.
- Developed a financial model for identifying packaging savings from sustainability improvements.
- Developed cohesive sustainability strategy comprised of four strategic pillars relevant to the client’s environmental impacts and two foundational planks necessary for the strategy to be successful in the organization’s culture.
- Built roadmap with key activities and milestones for company to finalize, adopt, and begin implementing strategy.
- Identified $100M in savings from sustainable packaging improvements.
- Co-created business plans with internal teams for major workstreams and led sustainability 101 training.